This Page contains some general information about the STF31 Awards Program. Complete and more detailed information can be found in the STF31 Awards Manual. This page was designed to answer some basic information about the program.
1. Why should I get the Awards Manual?
The Manual serves as a reference guide to the STF31 Awards Program and gives information about the Awards Program that is vital to the STF31 personnel desiring to take advantage to the program benefits. It provides crucial information about the STF31 Awards Program including what awards are available, the criteria for each, and information how the annual awards work (and more). The manual took several months of research and development and is about 80 pages in length.
2. What information is included in the Manual?
The STF31 Awards Manual has the following information: A listing of all the people who worked very hard to make this program possible and why we have it. How to recommend an award and who can do the recommending. A listing of the various Individual, Unit, Scholastic, and Annual Awards, How the Annual Awards are done. Information on the STF31 Award Ribbons (Both TOS style and TWOK style), and how to wear them.
3. Who can receive STF31 Awards?
Any active member, chapter in training, chapter, or department currently assigned to STF31, or any Civilian or Civilian organization, other Star Trek related organizations or Non-Task Force member that assists a STF31 chapter.
4. Who can recommend STF31 members for awards?
The awards can be recommended by member of the STF31 Chain of Command such as the STF31 CinC or Deputy CinC. Recommendation may also come from any member of the STF31 Fleet Operations members or their staff, Sector Chief, Sector Officer such as the Sector Staff Members (DSCs, Program Directors), Chapter Commanders, Chapter XOs, and Chapter Department Chiefs or Away Team OIC. Officers above the Chapter Commander can recommend awards for anyone in the STF31 for any action that directly benefits STF31, any Department, or Chapter in STF31. Chapter Commanders and XOs can recommend STF31 Awards for any member of their crew and so on. STF31 members may also recommend other STF31 members for awards for actions they have firsthand knowledge of. We ask that you also notify that member’s CO to let them know. Awards on the Chapter level need to be approved by either the Commanding Officer or Executive Officer. Be sure to see the information in the Awards Manual Appendix.
5. How often can I submit member of my crew for Awards?
We suggest that chapters submit their recommendations annually or quarterly. We would like to receive the recommendations at least one month before you need them for your awards presentations. We encourage all STF31 personnel to use the program as often as possible.
6. Does everyone who is recommended for an award receive one?
NO, but a majority are! The STF31 awards were not designed to be given out like candy but designed to recognize those that have gone the extra mile. Before recommending an award, the Recommending Officer must first be certain that the award is warranted in the first place. Awards must not be recommended for a member or chapter that simply performs their duty as expected. Usually, if you have to ask yourself if the award is warranted, then it probably isn’t. Typically, a member/chapter has made a SIGNIFICANT accomplishment or achievement; or has performed their duty with ABOVE average zeal and diligence. This is what should be considered and noted. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE ADEQUATE DETAILS or DOCUMENTATION WITH THE RECOMMENDATIONS (see the Appendix in the Awards Manual). In addition, you can’t get multiple STF31 awards from a single action or award entry.
7. Can I get Awards for Stuff that I did a long time ago?
If you have certain awards like OBC or OAC. Current STF31 DSAs or other awards that you have a certificate for you can get the ribbon for these. Just provide a copy of the Awards Certificate.
8. The Awards Manual states that recommendations need to be approved by my immediate supervisor, why is this?
Recommendations at the chapter level, they need to be approved by at least the Commanding Officer or First Officer as they are the first line Commanders responsible for you.
9. Are the awards certificates FREE?
Yes – All award certificates are sent to either the nominating officer or directly to the awardee via the internet in a .pdf format.
10. Where can I purchase the Award Ribbons, Ribbon Holder, and Devices?
Award Ribbons and Devices can be ordered from the STF31 Quartermaster or the Awards Program Director. Only STF31 members can order from the STF31 Quartermaster and payment is through PayPal.
11. What are ‘UNIT’ Awards?
A Unit is anybody of STF31 members who work together on a project or task (it’s a Team) This could be an away team, a chapter department, the chapter, members of different chapters. We ask that the team leader submit the group for the award.
12. Where do I send my recommendations?
There is an online awards portal located on the STF31 website. All submissions are via the portal.
13. Is the Awards Program open to ideas for new awards?
ABSOLUTELY!! The Awards Program is designed to recognize the works and accomplishments of the members and chapters in the Task Force. If you have an idea for a new award that is NOT covered by an existing award that you feel is needed, give the details to your Chapter CO and they will present it to the STF31 Awards Committee. This is your Recognition Program.
14. Why does STF31 use both the triangular ribbons as seen in TOS and the bar ribbons as seen in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country?
The TOS style of ribbons resemble the triangular ribbons seen on the dress tunics in the classic “Star Trek” and “Star Trek: Discovery” series. Of course, “Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country” used award ribbons that were the familiar rectangular military style of ribbons similar to those used today by the military, the Police, and even the Civil Air Patrol. Because each individual member and chapter can choose which era that they or their chapter exists in. Having both styles allow both the STF31 member and chapter to have a choice closer to the era being identified with.
15. How will these ribbons look on the Newer Uniforms as seen in the latest TNG Movies and DS9?
The Awards Manual has diagrams that show how you can wear the ribbons on the formals and standard duty uniforms.You can also wear these ribbons on your club jacket or shirt depending on your chapter guidelines.
16. Who is on the Awards Committee?
The STF31 Awards Committee consists of the Task Force CinC ,Task Force Deputy CinC, Task Force Awards Program Director, and one (1) member from each STF31 Chapter that is in good standing.
17. If I have questions, comments or suggestions for the Recognition Program, who do I send them to?
You can send them to the STF31 Awards Program Director. The Awards Committee will discuss them and get more information on the idea if necessary.
STF31 ANNUAL AWARDS INFO
Listed below are some General FAQ on the STF31 Annual Awards. If you have any further questions about the awards, please either refer to the STF31 Awards Manual page 20 or contact the STF31 Awards Program Director. All questions are answered as quickly as possible.
- Who determines the winners of the Annual Awards? – The recipients of the STF31 Annual awards are determined by the scores they receive by from Awards Committee members. The Communications Awards (Newsletters, fanzines, handbooks and websites) are judged by the STF31 Communications Officer.
- What is the General process? – All entries received by the deadline are sorted by section and sent to the Awards Committee members or to the appropriate supervisor of the Department for evaluation. Those entries that are the highest scoring are the winners. There is one per section.
- What are the criteria being used to determine the winner? – The STF31 Annual Awards are to determine the “Best of the Best” we are looking for the best all-around STF31 chapters and personnel that best represent the ideals of STF31. These entries are then sent to the respectable sector to represent the STF31 in the sector competition and if selected will represent the STF31 competition. We look for chapters and individuals who are active in STF31, in their particular Sector, in their communities, and on their chapter. The Awards Manual gives more details about the criteria for each award. The chapter awards look at Administration as well in involvement and activities on different levels. (SEE the Awards Manual)
- My chapter cannot possibly compete with some of the larger chapters in the Task Force or the Sector we are in, why should I bother to enter? – You’ll never know unless you try! None of the winners of the past Annual awards thought that they were going to win either. If fact the chapters and people that I thought had some pretty good material .. did not win… so you’ll never know.
- Who can be submitted for the Annual Awards? – All Chapters and personnel serving in STF31. There is a restriction that those serving on the Awards Committee or as judges or part of the awards process cannot submit themselves for awards, but other members of their chapter or STF31 may enter them. For example. If a person serves on the Awards Committee, they may not submit him/herself in for award X, but if their XO, or member of their crew, STF31 Command Staff or other STF31 member wishes to they may do so. – so long as there is NO INVOLVEMENT in the submission process by the STF31 Awards Committee or anyone evaluating the entries.
- Where do I mail my entries? – All awards are sent to the STF31 Awards Program Director either via email or using the STF31 Awards Portal. The STF31 Awards Program Director will forward the Communications related awards to the STF31 Deputy Director, Fleet Communications. (See the STF31 Staff Listing on the STF31 Web Site).
- Can I get a copy of my evaluation so that I can see what area I need to improve? – Yes. After the STF31 Awardee Announcement, chapters can send in an email request for an electronic copy from the STF31 Awards Program Director for their evaluations. Four months after the awardee announcement, the evaluations forms are shredded for recycling.
- Anything else I should know? – Please makes sure that your entries give the BEST possible COMPLETE picture of the nominees (chapters or crew). Remember the judges will only have what is written on paper to make their decisions by. Please be as complete and precise as possible in the pages allowed. Your goal is to make your nominations shine above the rest. Unless otherwise posted, all annual award entries (Chapter Entries, Recommendations, etc.) are due before January 31st of the following year. For example, nominations for 2022 candidates are due by January 31, 2021. Annual award winners are announced electronically No Later Than April 2 of that particular year. Scores and entries can be emailed back to participants within six months of the announcements, if it is requested. Please make sure that the entries that are submitted are clearly marked for judging. For example, if you send in a publication to be judged, please make sure it has Entry of Best Newsletter on the subject line of the submission email.